Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's the Little Things


As I fight this disease, my hope and trust is ultimately in God and His promises. He is the one who will sustain me and uphold me. But in His compassion and grace, God also sometimes gives us practical, earthly things that we can be encouraged by and take joy in during the hard seasons of life. One of those practical, earthly things that I know will sustain me through the next several months is the gift of my three precious children. 


Last Friday I ventured out of the house with all three little ones for the first time. I would have never imagined that a simple trip to the library could be so traumatic! After I was in the library for a few minutes I began getting “the look."  The look that says, "Why are your kids making noise!? Can’t you keep them quiet!? How about you try controlling those kids!?" Well, I was doing my best and we finally made it to the front counter to check out our books. I was hopeful we would conclude our trip without making much more of a scene. I was wrong...

Samuel was sleeping peacefully in his stroller when Lydia and Hudson decided to grab a hold of the stroller at the same time. As they did, the stroller toppled over on it’s side and landed on Hudson. Thankfully, Samuel was safely buckled in his seat. But the scene was still bad: Hudson was crying under the stroller, Samuel was crying in the stroller, and Lydia just stood there saying, “I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry!”
 
Being a mother of three definitely has its challenges, but I would not change a thing. It's always the little things that bring a smile to my face...even when they are hard.


“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, 
the fruit of the womb a reward.” 
Psalm 127:3