Monday, June 6, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Fray Family Vacation '11


Hudson checking out the view from 30,000 feet...

Enjoying the plane ride to St. Louis...
This past week we took a family vacation to visit family and friends in St. Louis. I had about two weeks in between the end of my chemo treatments and the beginning of my radiation treatments (which start this week), so we had a pretty tight window of time to get away. Of course, family vacations with three kids four and under are not necessarily relaxing. It takes a lot of energy to keep up with the kids, and it can be quite a logistical challenge to spend long hours in cars and airplanes (we flew to St. Louis and drove my mom's old mini-van back home). But it was such a blessing to spend the time with Matt, Lydia, Hudson and Samuel.

We stayed at my mom’s house and spent a lot of time with my sister Katie, her husband Chris, and their kids Ella, J-Rod, and Lilly. The cousins had a wonderful time together. We had fun doing a lot of St. Louis things like going to the zoo, eating Imo’s Pizza, walking around Kirkwood and getting snow cones, going to Trinity Church (PCA), swimming, having a BBQ, having a playdate with some wonderful friends, and of course I cannot forget my annual dentist appointment!  

Hudson and a giant horse statue...
Hudson and Samuel in their matching outfits...
Lydia and Hudson petting a goat at the St. Louis Zoo...

Hudson's sidewalk chalk self-portrait...
The view of the arch on the way out of St. Louis...
On our drive home we stopped in Chattanooga and stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, an old Southern Railroad train station that has been converted into a hotel and conference center. In addition to having several trains to explore and eat in, they have some that have been converted into fully-functional hotel rooms, so we stayed in one of those train car rooms for a night. This was especially fun for Hudson because he LOVES trains! We were also able to have dinner with my Aunt Kathleen and Uncle Niel Nielson who live on Lookout Mountain, so it was great to get a chance to talk and spend a little time with them as well. 
Inside the train car room...
Matt and Hudson looking at the model train car exhibit...
Hudson trying on a Chattanooga Choo-Choo conductor's hat...
Lydia and Hudson on the steps leading to our train car room...
The outside of our train car room...

Matt and I are both coming back to several very busy weeks, but our vacation refreshed us in many ways so we are ready to go. This week Matt will be headed to the PCA's General Assembly in Virginia Beach and I will finish my radiation planning today and begin the daily treatments on Tuesday or Wednesday. I would appreciate prayers as I begin that process. I would also appreciate prayers as I try to figure out problems that I have been having with my lungs. I will see a Pulmonologist this week for that. Then in the coming weeks I will be continuing my daily radiation treatments, we will be helping with our church's annual VBS program, and Matt will take a group of students to a camp at Ridge Haven at the end of the month. Thankfully, our friend Bethany will be here to help out while Matt is out of town and while I do my daily treatments!

Thank you so much for your continued prayers for me and our whole family. I will be sure to post an update in a few days to let you know about my first radiation treatments.