Saturday, April 30, 2011

Medical Update

As I mentioned in my previous post, I came down with a sinus infection and an upper respiratory infection while I was in St. Louis last weekend. Since my immunities aren't what they should be these days (due to chemo), I haven't made too much progress yet in terms of getting better. Thankfully, my chemo treatments themselves have not been too bad - they definitely slow me down for a day or two, but it's usually manageable.

Despite not feeling up to par (Matt tells me the saying should technically be "down to par" in terms of golf scoring), today was such a gorgeous Saturday that I was determined to spend the afternoon at the beach with Matt and the kids. We had a great time. I especially enjoyed introducing Samuel to the ocean; it was his first time to the beach and he loved it! It was nice to have a relaxing day together as a family before another busy week. 

On Tuesday, I will be going to Charleston for a brief outpatient surgery to get my two expansion ports removed. Ports are basically small plastic discs (about the size of a nickel) that are placed just under the skin; they allow for medicine to be injected into the blood stream without having to put an IV into a vein. These ports were actually used to inject saline into the tissue expanders in my chest. They are so uncomfortable because they are constantly being pushed against my ribs. So I am really looking forward to having them removed. On Thursday, I will have my eighth of twelve chemo treatments. I would greatly appreciate prayer for both of those things.

Even though I am eager to be done with chemo, I am so thankful that my current chemo drugs have not been as hard to deal with as the ones I had to take last Winter. With these drugs, I usually have moderate fatigue and nausea a day or two, but then feel well enough to do all my normal daily tasks. Also, though it presents certain physical and logistical challenges, I have been realizing what a blessing it is to have kids during this illness. To a certain degree, my children keep my mind from fixating on my health issues because I am forced to care for and focus on them. If it weren't for them, I would probably be sitting home all day wondering why I am sick, if the cancer will spread or return, etc. Of course, it is ultimately God and His promises that have sustained me through this process and will continue to give me hope for the future. I am praying that God will continue to mold my heart and mind to His likeness and give me a heart to serve Him.

Thank you for your prayers!

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:25-34

Lydia and Hudson obeying Jesus' words in Matthew 6:25, "Look at the birds of the air..." :)