Saturday, April 16, 2011

Race for the Cure 5K

Last night and today Matt and I participated in the events for the Third Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Savannah. It was great to be a part of such a large event which not only connected me to other women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, but that also raises awareness about breast cancer and money for breast cancer research. I was amazed that there are over 850 women in Chatham County (where we live) that are diagnosed each year and that over 5,000 people participated in the race!


At these events I was in a group referred to as a breast cancer "survivor" (supposedly you are a technically a "survivor" from the day you are diagnosed). But in many ways, I don’t totally feel like a survivor of breast cancer because I am only halfway through my initial treatment. Nevertheless, it was neat to talk with other women who have gone through or are going through the same thing I am going through right now.

Last night we attended a reception for survivors where the guest speaker was Savannah’s own Paula Deen. When I met her and mentioned my name, I was very surprised that she remembered my name because her son Jamie participated in a fundraising event for me last December.


 


This morning Matt and Samuel and I participated in the 5K race. Samuel and I walked and Matt ran (and then came back and walked to the finish line with me)…I am so proud of him! He even made a special shirt for the race which says, "I hate running...but I love my wife!"

 






Alright, I know it sounds very strange...but one of the most exciting parts of the morning was getting a free 12-pack of Quilted Northern toilet paper!!!



It is interesting how much camaraderie there is amongst the breast cancer survivors. I greatly appreciated getting to know the other survivors and learning from them and relating to them. What a blessing! For some, those supportive and encouraging relationships with other survivors is the primary thing "getting them through" their battle with breast cancer. I certainly value those relationships, but they are not ultimate; my ultimate comfort and support comes from Jesus Christ and his daily love and faithfulness to me.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1