Thursday, February 10, 2011

Surgery Update#1

Well, after days of waiting it is finally time for my surgery. We came up to Charleston yesterday for one final pre-operative appointment and to spend the night since my surgery is early this morning.

At my appointment, a radiologist injected some nuclear material into my breast which will help the surgeon do a biopsy of my lymph nodes to see if the cancer has spread at all.

After the appointment, Matt and I had a wonderful dinner at a little Italian restaurant and then headed across the street to get dessert at a cupcake shop which several people had recommended. Both dinner and dessert were delicious, and believe me, I made sure to enjoy every last bite of both since I won't eat a good meal for a while.

A few days ago Matt came across this encouraging quote from Alistair Begg that is very relevant for my life right now:
God uses suffering to wean His children away from the plausible sources of false happiness. The Christian may grow drowsy in the sun but will not fall asleep in the fire or the flood. Each of us must recognize how easy it is to think little of God when all is well on the outside. But what a change occurs when, for example, the biopsy comes back positive. A sharp blast of anxiety comes to shatter any illusions of self-sufficiency. How kind of God to rouse us and to bring us to the place of dependence.
Even as I head into surgery this morning and the challenge of recovery afterwards, I know that this is all part of God's good and gracious plan for me and my family. Yes, it is forcing us to depend on God more than ever, but there is no better place to be.

As always, thank you for your continued prayers. Be sure to keep an eye on this blog and on Facebook today because Matt will post a few updates.

Yours in Christ,
Erin