Monday, February 14, 2011

Surgery Update #5

Well, after three days in the hospital it looks like I will be headed home in a few hours. The surgery and recovery were not necessarily what I expected, but they were all part of God's plan for me. I am always amazed how the timing of God's plan is perfect. Though it is not necessarily a positive thing that my cancer spread to my lymph nodes it is good I am not having to deal with a more difficult recovery right now. I have had a few complications and have had trouble trying to manage my pain just from the mastectomies. Now I know a little more what to expect when I come back for my reconstruction surgery later this Summer or Fall.

Even though the hospital stay involved a fair amount of physical pain, it was wonderful to have several people take the time to visit me here. On the day of my surgery John Fender (our pastor) and the Grovenstein's (a couple from our church) drove up from Savannah to spend the day in the waiting room with Matt and to see me after the surgery. What an encouragement they were to us! Also, since he couldn't be here with me, my grandfather called a local PCA pastor (whose children my dad baptized) to come by and pray with us. I also had a friend from college, Anna Catherine Wilson Brooks, come visit. I had not seen her since college and so it was good to catch up a bit. Finally, my good friends Keith and Linda Kneeshaw came down from Columbia, South Carolina, today to visit. I knew Linda growing up in St. Louis and have not seen her for several years, so it was fun to see her as well.

Of course, I am looking forward to going home. Hopefully the kids will not climb on me like a jungle gym quite yet. I missed them so much! As I have been here in the hospital I have been so thankful for my husband Matt through all of this. He is my best friend and has been a true servant and has fulfilled our marriage vows: "For better or worse...in sickness and in health." He is an amazing man and has such a sacrificial heart. I am glad I was able to provide him with little entertainment during my more drugged-up moments.

Thank you again for all your prayers and encouragement. We have known God's peace and presence in this past week.