Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Sammy's Mommy Has Cancer"

Lydia has been very interested in everything going on with me…especially my hair. We decided it would be good to find a creative, visual way to explain my health to her in a way that she can understand. I found a book online called Sammy’s Mommy Has Cancer. That title was just perfect considering the fact that I have my own little Sammy! J When we received it we all sat down and read it together. It is a very simple, clear story of the cancer process in a way young children can grasp. The mom in the story even got chemo THEN surgery like me! The illustrations were good as well.

A few days ago I woke up and was not wearing a hat and all of the sudden Lydia came running into the room. This was the first time Lydia saw my head with NO hair at all. She looked at me for a minute and didn't say anything. I was worried at first that she was going to be upset. But then all of a sudden she got really excited and ran out of the room. She went and got the book and opened to the page where the mom had no hat or hair. She looked at me with the book and said, “Mommy you look just like the mommy in the book!” It is neat to see just how perceptive Lydia is and to see how God is being gracious to help my 3 year-old understand and accept what is happening to me.