Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Medical Update: Done with Chemo!

I am officially done with chemo! I had my final treatment last Wednesday (5/18). The days that followed were kind of hard because I was so excited to be done with chemo that I had forgotten that I was still going to feel sick one more time. Oh well. I am thankful that I have about two weeks “off” before my daily radiation treatments begin, so we are going to travel to St. Louis this weekend and will stay about a week. I am so excited to see my family and friends there! Matt, Lydia, and Hudson haven’t been up to St. Louis for almost a year and a half, so it will be great for them to go back and for us all to be together as a family up there.

Shortly after we return from St. Louis I will begin my radiation treatments. I will have the treatments every weekday for seven weeks (so Lord willing, I will be done with that by the end of July). While this will be a big time commitment (it will probably take about 2 hours out of my day for those seven weeks), I am not expecting too many physical side effects from radiation. Once radiation is over I will have a two-three month break before I have the reconstruction part of my surgery in the Fall. Then I will begin taking a post-chemotherapy medication that I will take for about five years.

I am thankful that this journey is progressing and that God has held me in his hand the whole time. He alone has given me strength for every new day.


“Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you? You who have made me see many calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.”
Psalm 71:19-21