Sunday, November 28, 2010

New Every Morning

This past week has been a rough week for me as I have dealt with very bad hives (an allergic reaction to MRI dye), continued back pain, and my hair falling out. But every time I have felt overwhelmed with my body I remember God’s faithfulness. Nothing that happens to me is out of His sovereign control and loving care. Not even one hair can fall from my head apart from His knowledge and will (Matthew 10:30).

Last Sunday my husband, Matt, delivered an excellent sermon at church on the faithfulness of God. He pointed out that one of the hardest, most difficult times in the entire Bible comes in the Old Testament book of Lamentations. When the author (possibly Jeremiah) wrote Lamentations, he had not only witnessed the destruction of Jerusalem, but he had also suffered great hardships during his ministry. Yet it is in Lamentations that we have the clearest and most beautiful description of God's faithfulness in the entire Bible: 
But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in Him (Lamentations 3:21-24)."
The circumstances of this coming week are not very hopeful. I will be going in for my second chemo treatment on Tuesday, which means I will be dealing with significant pain, exhaustion, and sickness for several days. But, like the author of Lamentations, my hops is not in my circumstances but in God. So as I enter this week, please pray for my health. But most of all, pray that I will continually be reminded of and have hope in God’s faithfulness to me.